Let’s be honest. No one really loves zucchini. We just tolerate it because… well… sometimes we have to. Right now, every meal I make consists of zucchini. Zucchini casserole, zucchini muffins, zucchini bread (so far 3 different types), grilled zucchini, stir-fried zucchini, zucchini pizza, even zucchini “apple” pie. Why? Not because I love it or even like it, I just have too much of it!
My husband the gardener believes in planting every seed he buys. I’m all for not being wasteful, but when it comes to zucchini, one plant is enough. He did concede to thin down the zucchini crop a bit this year. We went from 25 to 3 plants and it’s still too much!!!
You think I’m alone in my zucchini disdain? Nope. There is a even a day called, National Sneak a Zucchini on Your Neighbors Porch Day, “celebrated” on August 8th of each year.
Those of us with gardens know that this is really a sinister way of getting rid of all the zucchini that have invaded our lives. Those of you who don’t… well, enjoy the stinking zucchini. There’s more where that came from!
One of my favorite go-to recipes is one for Zucchini Brownies from A Family Feast. I would not share this with you if I didn’t find it absolutely amazing. Not only can you not taste the zucchini, but you can’t even see it!!! My only wish is that it took more that 1 1/2 cups of that god-awful stuff. Oh well, at least I get to enjoy the rich, moist, fudgy brownie goodness in between shredding more.
Now if only I can find a recipe for zucchini wine…
Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
by A Family Feast
- 4 ounces BAKER’S unsweetened chocolate
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, making sure that the piece of foil extends over the side of the pan. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate and butter and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Blend in the eggs and vanilla.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Then add the zucchini and walnuts and stir to evenly combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with fudgy crumbs.
- Let cool completely. When cool, use the foil to remove the brownies from the pan and onto a cutting board. Cut before serving.